Sunday, February 1, 2015

Selected Japanese Poems


While compiling the research for my Tokaidō stories, I’ve developed a deep appreciation and love of Japanese poetry.  This month I finished the forty-first of the fifty-seven stories that I’ve planned.  All are historical fiction based on events and politics of 1830s Japan.  Most open with a poem that captures the spirit of the story or the main character.  A few open with lyrics from a popular song, a Shinto prayer or in one case, a speech from a Kabuki play.

For the past week we have been nursing, Yuki, our very sick older cat.  Last night I relaxed in great-grandmother Mary’s rocking chair while Mariko, our younger cat, curled up in my lap for some snuggle time.  My choice of reading?  The Poetry of Zen translated and edited by Sam Hamill and J. P. Seaton.  Let me share with you a few of the poems which brought me comfort.

            How mysterious!
            The lotus remains unstained
by its muddy roots,
delivering shimmering
bright jewels from common dew.
                        Sojo Henjo (816-890)

            I’d like to divide
myself in order to see,
            among these mountains,
            each and every flower
            of every cherry tree.
                        Saigyo (1118-1190)

            Quite the contrary
to what I’d thought, passing clouds
are sometimes simply
the moon’s entertainment,
its lovely decoration.
                        Saigyo (1118-1190)

            Culture’s beginnings:
from the heart of the country
rice-planting songs.
                        Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)

            The distant mountains
are reflected in the eye
of the dragonfly
            Kobayashi Issa (1763-1827)

No comments:

Post a Comment